Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ride 'em Cowboy!

A few months ago I received a bill from the "Yellowstone County Sheriff's Dept." Enclosed were also tickets to the NILE Rodeo. I thought, "I am NOT going to pay this! I didn't ask for these tickets, and they are not going to con me into buying them." Then, a quick thought went through my mind..."I'll ask Clint, but I'm sure HE didn't order them." Well, when I "asked Clint" he sure DID order them. Thus, on October 15th, our family went to the Rodeo, and what a GREAT time we had!

For the past 2 years, Clint's Aunt Francie, Uncle Ken, & their daughter Jill have hosted a Rodeo at our Family Reunion in the Big Horn Mountains. It's a WONDERFUL time and a real hit with the kids. The each bring their horse (from home or find a great stick) and we have the opening ceremony complete with flag, parade, etc. Then, we move on to the events...Bull Riding (based on how high the "jumps" are), barrell racing (which we practice the pattern over and over and STILL have a hard time!), and saddle bronc (similar to the bulls). Anyway, it's a great time, but my kids really didn't understand the events. However, now they do and they are excited for next year! They are going to really know how to make those bulls and horses buck now! (Randon also mentioned how he'd like to ride a sheep next time....)

In this case at least, I'm glad Clint was a sucker and bought the tickets. It was a memory we'll share for a long time. (However, next time we'll have to remember to give Patrick allergy medication first. I think he'll enjoy it more that way!) YEE-HA!

3 comments:

Becca said...

I'm glad you guys had fun. Are they supposed to have bull horns? I wish our kids could have gone to watch as well. It would be nice to have them know too, how the rodeo works:)

Notes from Francie said...

Next year let's all go to the Nile Rodeo. I think Ken and I would like to join you!!! Those Oleson Rodeos are lots of fun.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Jake, Grace and I when you decide to go again, we'll come too!! Also coming up soon in Billings is the Chase Hawks Rodoe in Billings. It's a memorial rodeo for a 6 year old little boy that was killed in an accident. It a little different than a traditional rodeo and is a really cool event. I'm so glad that you family had so much fun!