Wednesday, April 1, 2009

St. Patrick's Day/April Fool's


This year we had a fun time celebrating both St. Patrick's day and April Fool's Day. For dinner, we of course had lots of green food for St. Patrick's day. I DID forget to wear green to bed and got pinched first thing in the morning! (Note the cute scarves a friend made for me and the girls....TOO CUTE!!!)

For April Fool's Day, we had the missionaries over and had lots of fun. I made a 2-layer meatloaf covered with dyed blue mashed potatoes. It looked pretty good....like a real 2-layer cake. We said we decided to eat dessert first since it was April Fool's Day. For dessert I used Cocoa Rice Krispies to make rice krispy treats in a bread pan. When you cut it it looked like meatloaf! We also had ice cream with caramel sauce that looked like mashed potatoes and gravy. It was lots of fun. Surprisingly, the missionaries said it was the most creative meal they'd ever had. (I think that was a compliment!!) Either way, it was lots of fun!

The only disappointment was that I didn't "get" any of my family. I'm usually able to "get" at least 1/2 of them. However, I didn't have time to even come up with something great. I spent a lot of the day taking/making treats for Randon's birthday. (We took mini "cookie" hamburgers and grape jello in cups with straws that looked like drinks instead of jello.) His birthday isn't until Saturday, the 4th, but we're leaving for Spring Break Vacation after work Thursday, (the 2nd) so we celebrated on April Fool's. Lots of fun!

4 comments:

Laurel said...

What a fun and creative dinner. I need to take lessons from you. You are THE COOLEST mom ever!

Megan said...

That is so great. Very Creative. I will have to still your idea for next year. Thanks!!

Anny said...

That really is the most creative meal I've heard of. It went on and on. Those missionaries will tell their grandkids about that meal. Did you take pictures? If so send them into Family Fun Magazine. So fun.

Anonymous said...

What a fun April Fools dinner! I always try to do something fun when the missionaries come over. I usually end-up calling one of the Elder's mom and asking her for a recipe, it's a fun tradition and they love hearing a message from there sons, and I love the new usually fantastic recipes.